PERMANENT EYELINER FAQ
Permanent eyeliner, also known as cosmetic tattooing or micropigmentation, is a procedure that involves applying pigment to the upper and/or lower lash line to create the appearance of defined and long-lasting eyeliner. Permanent eyeliner frames the eyes and can make eyelashes appear thicker, darker and fuller. It may eliminates the need to apply eyeliner with makeup. It can enhance the shape or balance the symmetry of your eyes, create the illusion of larger eyes, or affect how the spacing of the eyes is perceived. Permanent eyeliner can also enhance or intensify eye color and make eyes appear brighter. It is a form of tattooing where specialized techniques and equipment are used to deposit the pigment into the skin around the eye.
During the procedure, a trained professional uses a fine needle or tattoo pen to carefully apply the pigment along the lash line, creating the desired eyeliner shape and thickness. The pigment is chosen to match or enhance the natural eye color, and the intensity can be customized based on the client's preferences.
The permanent eyeliner procedure offers several benefits, including:
- Time-saving: With permanent eyeliner, you can wake up with perfectly defined eyes, eliminating the need to apply eyeliner daily.
- Enhanced appearance: Permanent eyeliner can provide a subtle or more dramatic enhancement to the eyes, making them appear more defined, larger, or more symmetrical.
- Long-lasting results: The pigments used in permanent eyeliner are designed to be fade-resistant, allowing the eyeliner to retain its color and shape for an extended period. However, it may require periodic touch-up sessions to maintain the desired look as the pigment gradually fades over time.
- Convenience: Permanent eyeliner eliminates the need to worry about smudging or smearing eyeliner throughout the day, making it particularly beneficial for those with an active lifestyle or specific makeup preferences.
Before undergoing the procedure, it is important to consult with a skilled and experienced DOLLISTIC artist who can assess your eye shape, discuss your desired outcome, and provide guidance on color selection and aftercare instructions. It is essential to follow the aftercare guidelines provided by your technician to ensure proper healing and optimal results.
At DOLLISTIC we customize the design of your lash line or permanent eyeliner based on your individual needs, shape of your eyes, as well as personal style. Your experienced DOLLISTIC artist will work with you to help choose color and design.
Permanent eyeliner offers several benefits, including:
- Enhanced Definition: Permanent eyeliner helps define and accentuate the eyes, giving them a more defined and expressive look. It can make the lashes appear fuller and create the illusion of thicker, more defined eyelids.
- Smudge-Proof and Long-Lasting: With permanent eyeliner, you no longer have to worry about smudges, smears, or your eyeliner wearing off throughout the day. The pigments used in the procedure are designed to be long-lasting, offering a consistent and flawless look.
- Allergy-Friendly: For individuals with allergies or sensitivities to cosmetic products, permanent eyeliner can be a great solution. It eliminates the need for daily application of traditional eyeliners, reducing the risk of irritation or adverse reactions.
- Time and Money Saving: Permanent eyeliner saves time and effort by eliminating the need for daily application. You no longer have to spend time perfecting your eyeliner, which can be particularly beneficial for those with busy lifestyles. Moreover, it reduces the need to regularly purchase traditional eyeliners, resulting in long-term cost savings.
- Assistance for Unsteady Hands or Vision Problems: People with unsteady hands, poor eyesight, or conditions that affect hand-eye coordination can find it challenging to apply traditional eyeliner accurately. Permanent eyeliner provides a solution by ensuring a precise and consistent line, regardless of manual dexterity or vision issues.
- Confidence in Water and Physical Activities: One of the significant advantages of permanent eyeliner is the ability to maintain its appearance even in water, during activities like swimming, showering, or exercising. It offers peace of mind, knowing that your eyeliner will stay intact regardless of moisture or physical exertion.
- Individuals with Autoimmune Diseases: If you suffer from lash loss due to a medical condition, such as alopecia, permanent eyeliner can create the illusion of fuller lashes by adding color and definition along the lash line. This helps restore the natural appearance of eyelashes and enhances the overall look of the eyes.
To receive Permanent Makeup at DOLLISTIC, the general age requirement is 18 years or older. However, we understand that certain circumstances may warrant exceptions for individuals who are underage and facing specific challenges related to autoimmune diseases like alopecia or trichotillomania, or undergoing chemotherapy. In such cases, we may consider providing our services with parental consent.
We believe in providing compassionate care and support to those who are experiencing these conditions and treatments. Our goal is to help individuals regain their confidence and enhance their natural features through our permanent makeup solutions.
If you or your child is under the age of 18 and would like to explore the possibility of receiving Permanent Makeup at DOLLISTIC, we kindly request that you contact us directly. We will guide you through the process, discuss your specific circumstances, and address any concerns you may have.
Please note that our priority is the safety and well-being of our clients, and any exceptions made will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We strive to provide a supportive and understanding environment for everyone who seeks our services, regardless of age or medical conditions.
As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
Comfort is a subjective experience, and each individual may have a different level of sensitivity. To ensure your comfort during the eyeliner procedure, we apply a topical numbing agent, 15-30 minutes before the service begins. Our priority is to make your experience as comfortable as possible throughout the process. You'll be pleased to know that most of our clients find the discomfort minimal and it is generally well-tolerated. It's important to note that mild discomfort and slight swelling are common with any tattooing procedure. However, our skilled team takes every precaution to minimize these effects.
Please be aware that having the procedure done during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort. Additionally, if you are a frequent smoker or have regular sun exposure, the effectiveness of the anesthetics used during the treatment may be reduced. This can affect both the longevity of the numbing effect and the final results of the procedure.
If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, it's essential to consider that this condition may impact your sensitivity tolerance during the procedure. We recommend discussing any concerns or special considerations related to your condition with your skilled DOLLISTIC artist beforehand.
Our goal is to ensure your utmost comfort and satisfaction throughout the eyeliner process. If you have any further questions or require additional information, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you and provide personalized support for your microblading journey.
Pre-Care Instructions are designed and MUST be strictly followed to limit bleeding and skin sensitivities during the service. Excessing bleeding and sensitivity during the procedure will dilute and expel the pigment color and lead to poor results.
Please review our detailed “Pre & Post Care” Instructions for Eyeliner. It is highly beneficial to follow these instructions to ensure a comfortable (and safe) healing process and to achieve the best possible results.
Here's what you can anticipate in terms of your appearance immediately following the permanent eyeliner procedure:
- Initial Dark Color: Right after the tattooing process, the color of the eyeliner may appear darker and more intense than the final result. This is because the pigment needs time to settle and heal.
- Mild Swelling: Some individuals may experience mild swelling in the treated area, particularly around the eyelids. This is a normal response to the procedure and typically subsides within a few days.
- Slight Redness: You might notice some redness or minor irritation around the tattooed area immediately after the procedure. This is temporary and should diminish relatively quickly.
It is important to note that everyone's healing process may vary. The initial intensity of the color will gradually soften and settle within a few weeks as the skin heals. It is normal for the color to lighten slightly during the healing process.
To ensure a smooth healing journey and achieve the best results, it is crucial to follow the aftercare instructions provided by your DOLLISTIC artist. These instructions typically include proper cleansing, avoiding certain products or activities, and keeping the treated area moisturized.
If you have any concerns or questions about your post-treatment appearance or healing process, it is recommended to reach out to us! We can provide personalized guidance and address any specific concerns you may have.
Please refrain from using any and all lash growth serums for a minimum of 3 months prior to your permanent eyeliner procedure. Here's why:
- Skin Sensitivity: Eyelash growth serums often contain active ingredients and chemicals that promote lash growth. These ingredients are stimulant that can potentially increase skin sensitivity and make the eyelid area more reactive during the tattooing process; making your eyelids too fragile and vascular for cosmetic tattooing. As a result, your eyelids will bleed and bruise. Increased sensitivity may lead to discomfort or potential complications during the procedure.
- Interference with Pigment Absorption: Eyelash growth serums typically contain nourishing ingredients, oils, or peptides that are intended to enhance lash growth. These substances can create a barrier on the skin's surface and interfere with the absorption of the tattoo pigment. This can result in an uneven or less effective tattoo outcome.
- Risk of Irritation or Inflammation: Some eyelash growth serums may cause irritation or inflammation if they come into contact with the tattooed area. The active ingredients in these serums may not be suitable for freshly tattooed skin, which can increase the risk of adverse reactions or delayed healing.
To ensure the best results and minimize any potential risks, it is advisable to discontinue the use of eyelash growth serums for a specified period before your eyeliner tattoo appointment. The exact timeframe may vary depending on the specific product and the recommendation of your permanent makeup artist. It is essential to follow their guidance and any pre-treatment instructions they provide. After your eyeliner procedure is completed, you should wait a minimum 4 weeks to start your serum usage again.
If you have been using eyelash growth serums and are considering getting an eyeliner tattoo, it is crucial to inform your DOLLISTIC artist in advance. They can assess your situation, provide personalized advice, and determine the appropriate steps to take before the procedure to ensure optimal results and a safe experience.
The healing process for an eyeliner tattoo typically takes around 1 to 2 weeks, although individual experiences may vary. Here's a general timeline of what you can expect during the healing process:
- Immediate Post-Treatment Period: Right after the eyeliner tattoo procedure, you may experience slight swelling, redness, and tenderness around the treated area. The tattooed eyeliner will appear darker and more intense initially.
- First Few Days: The treated area may feel slightly sensitive and may continue to exhibit some redness and swelling. It is essential to follow the aftercare instructions provided by your permanent makeup artist during this time. This may include avoiding excessive rubbing or touching of the tattooed area, applying healing ointment as directed, and keeping the area clean.
- Color Softening: As the healing progresses, the color of the eyeliner tattoo will start to soften and lighten. This is a natural part of the healing process, and it may take a few days for the color to reach its desired shade.
- Flaking and Peeling: Around the one-week mark, you may notice some flaking or peeling of the skin in the tattooed area. This is a normal part of the healing process as the outer layer of the skin naturally sheds. Avoid picking or scratching the area to allow the skin to heal properly.
- Final Result: After the initial healing phase, the true color and appearance of the eyeliner tattoo will start to emerge. It is important to note that the final result may take a few weeks to fully settle as the skin continues to regenerate.
During the eyeliner healing process, it is advisable to avoid exposing the tattooed area to excessive moisture, sunlight, or harsh chemicals. It is also recommended to avoid wearing eye makeup or applying products directly on the tattooed area until it has fully healed. Click HERE for a full list of our Pre & Post Care Instructions.
If you have any concerns or questions about the healing process or notice any unusual symptoms, it is best to consult with your DOLLISTIC artist. They can provide personalized guidance, address any specific concerns, and ensure that your healing progress is on track.
The longevity of permanent eyeliner can vary from person to person due to differences in skin type and lifestyle. It is important to understand that the pigment will naturally fade over time, like with any tattoo. Here's some information about the duration of permanent eyeliner:
- Individual Factors: The duration of permanent eyeliner is influenced by factors such as your skin type, lifestyle, and personal habits. Skin characteristics, such as oiliness or dryness, can affect how well the pigment holds and how quickly it may fade.
- Maintenance with Touch-Ups: To maintain the best appearance of your permanent eyeliner, we recommend periodic touch-up sessions. Touch-ups help refresh the color and enhance the longevity of your eyeliner. The frequency of touch-ups may vary depending on your preferences and how your skin retains the pigment.
- Varied Results: It's important to note that there is no guarantee on exactly how long your permanent eyeliner will last. Each person's skin is unique, and the way it holds and breaks down the pigment can differ. Some individuals may experience longer-lasting results, while others may require touch-ups sooner.
- Skin and Pigment Interaction: The interaction between your skin and the pigments used for the eyeliner tattoo plays a role in its longevity. The specific pigments used and how they interact with your skin can affect how well the eyeliner holds its color over time.
While we cannot provide an exact timeframe for how long your permanent eyeliner will last, we strive to provide you with the best results possible. Our experienced DOLLISTIC artists will work closely with you to choose the right pigments and technique that suit your desired outcome and skin type.
Remember, maintaining the appearance of your permanent eyeliner involves following proper Pre & Post Care Instructions and taking care of your skin. Protecting your eyeliner from excessive sun exposure, harsh chemicals, and abrasive skincare products can help preserve its color and extend its lifespan.
For personalized advice on caring for your permanent eyeliner and scheduling touch-up sessions, we encourage you to consult with our skilled artists. They can provide further guidance based on your unique needs and help you achieve long-lasting, beautiful results.
Several factors can influence how your eyeliner tattoo heals. While individual experiences may vary, the following factors can affect the healing process and the final outcome:
- Skin Type: Different skin types can respond differently to the tattooing process. Oily skin, for example, may cause the pigment to fade faster, while dry skin may retain the pigment more effectively. The texture, elasticity, and overall health of your skin can impact how the tattoo heals.
- Aftercare: Following proper aftercare instructions is crucial for a successful healing process. Your artist will provide specific guidelines, which may include avoiding excessive moisture, keeping the area clean, and applying recommended ointments or healing balms. Not following the aftercare instructions may negatively impact the healing and longevity of the eyeliner tattoo.
- Individual Healing Response: Each person's body reacts differently to the tattooing process. Factors such as your immune system, circulation, and overall health can influence the healing process. Some individuals may experience faster healing with minimal swelling or discomfort, while others may require more time to heal completely.
- Lifestyle and Habits: Certain lifestyle factors and habits can impact the healing of your eyeliner tattoo. Activities such as swimming, excessive sweating, or exposure to harsh chemicals or sunlight can affect the healing process and the longevity of the pigment. It is important to follow the specific post-treatment instructions provided by your artist to protect and maintain the tattooed area during the healing period.
- Professional Technique and Pigment Selection: The expertise and technique of your permanent makeup artist play a significant role in the healing and final appearance of your eyeliner tattoo. A skilled artist will consider factors such as pigment selection, needle depth, and proper application to ensure optimal results. Choosing a reputable and experienced artist can greatly influence how your eyeliner tattoo heals.
- Bleeding During the Procedure: Excessive bleeding during the eyeliner procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption. Alcohol, certain medications and vitamins, as well as any blood-thinners and should avoided a minimum of 48 hours prior to your appointment.
For a full list of what to avoid before and after your appointment click here. While these factors can influence the healing process, it is important to note that individual results may vary. It is essential to communicate openly with your permanent makeup artist, follow their guidance, and be patient during the healing period. Your artist will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions and address any specific concerns you may have to ensure the best possible healing outcome for your eyeliner tattoo.
When it comes to long-term care for your permanent eyeliner, there are several important points to keep in mind:
- Fading: Understand that the color of your permanent eyeliner will naturally fade over time. The extent of fading can vary depending on factors such as your skin type, lifestyle, sun exposure, pigment color used, the presence of broken capillaries, and even iron deficiency. It's important to be aware that touch-up sessions may be necessary to maintain the desired intensity of the eyeliner.
- Sun Protection: Protect your eyeliner from sun exposure by wearing sunglasses and hats when you're outside. Additionally, if you plan on using a tanning bed, make sure to use goggles specifically designed to cover your eyes and protect the eyeliner from premature fading caused by UV rays.
- MRI Procedures: If you anticipate having an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan, inform the technician beforehand about your iron-oxide cosmetic tattoo. This information will help them take the necessary precautions during the procedure.
- Laser Treatments: If you're considering undergoing laser treatments, it's crucial to inform the laser specialist about your permanent eyeliner. They should avoid treating the pigmented area to prevent any adverse effects. Also, ensure that the specialist provides you with appropriate eye protection during the procedure to safeguard your eyeliner.
By being mindful of these long-term care considerations, you can help maintain the quality and longevity of your permanent eyeliner. Remember to consult with your experienced DOLLISTIC artist for any additional guidelines or recommendations specific to your situation.
Touch-up appointments for eyeliner are optional. We suggest that if you want to maintain your eyeliner so that it always looks its best, plan on scheduling a touch-up once every 2-5 years.
If you are interested in scheduling a Permanent Eyeliner appointment at DOLLISTIC, the first step is to schedule a Complimentary Virtual Consult to determine you are a good candidate for the procedure. You can book online here or over the phone by calling our concierge at 1-877-771-1770.
For further questions or inquries, please email us at [email protected]